ERIKA HARVEY
UX Design & Research
download.jpeg

Information Architecture and Interaction Design

.

Patient Engagement & Education App

Clarify Health, San Francisco

Information Architecture, Domain Expert, User Research

3 month assignment

 Collaboration with project manager, CTO and 3rd party design firm.

Medical Information Architecture

PROJECT SUMMARY

Pilot is both a mobile and a browser patient portal that allows patients to become active in their preoperative, surgical and postoperative care for joint replacement surgeries causing a HCAPs reimbursement rate.  This is done through a patient satisfaction survey administered by Medicare.  My role was to conduct all individual and group user interviews,  requirements gathering, provide domain expertise, content review, , and information architecture.‘ I collaborated with New Day who designed and developed the mobile portion, and engineering to launch the beta version of this product. .

 

 

Pilot is a web and mobile platform for total joint replacement patients to learn about each step of their care, before during and after the surgery. It enables patients to feel empowered and to view their experience in a more  Icollaborated with a content strategist, outside design firm the CEO and the project manager. In charge of domain expertise, content reviews, information architecture, and user interviews.

 


I really enjoyed Erika’s creativity and enthusiasm she brought to this project
— Josh Loehr,

Collaborating with Project Manager about what to include and where in the journey to include it

Define exactly what patients want to know before they undergo a surgical procedure

interviews

spoke with previous joint replacement patients and asked them to tell me in a group setting what they wish they had known and what they thought the best information they received was. 

Took the information from those meetings and developed subjects for card sort

cardsort

Went to new group of patients in demographic and performed an open and then a closed card sort with two different groups. The information from this was then brought back to the team and project manager and I began to flush out content skeleton

 

Design Content Skeleton

content  inventory

  • develop small modules that are easily interchanged into different categories if things need to change 
  • Create timeline for each module
  • Content Creation
    • Write content for each module
    • Design a prototype to explore the best way to format content in the browser based version.
    • Enable each module to be freestanding
    • Collaborate with development team to make content work with existing database structure using JSON schema

Interactive Prototype To Show Content Flow

 

  • Develop Patient Engagement And Interaction

    • I made the decision to make those buttons much more skeumorphic due to our target demographic which is patients that are of medicare age so (60-65). This came about after user testing and the users stating that they were not aware of the newer icons that are so often used (like the hamburger bars). So, to assist them , we used easily recognized symbols. 
    • We decided on a modal style of popup so that the user did not have to flip between screens to write their questions or to view the checklists. 
    • I designed the ability to easily click on a button at the top right to have a form to write questions and find checklists that were relevant to the material being seen on the main screen. 
    • Worked with design firm to decide on the look and flow of the content. After a few rounds of discussing our different options we decided to initially go with the main item menu on the top and the subsections to the left. Putting all material into a modular section, we were able to plug in content wherever it made the most logical sense while doing user journeys to find gaps in the necessary materials. 
    • Brainstorm for roll out 2 extending interactivity
    • Collaborate with outside design firm on gamification

Visual Design

The look and feel of the product has been altered in the above prototype that was used with user testing, per the request of the company so as to not give away their name. I have been allowed to discuss the color choices that we used. 

The color palette was chosen to convey the calmness and seriousness of the healthcare industry . We wanted to convey trust in our product and yet still keep it hopeful rather than dismal. With that in mind we opted for the following color palatte suggestions:  

We felt the colors were serious enough for the subject matter , but there was enough lighter hues to not make it dismal and dreary. The company finally went with a simple color palette of the dark teal and white. The fonts were kept simple and on the more serious side, opting for a family pairing of PT Sans and PT Serif.

The main reason was that the PT Serif maintained some of the same characteristics of PT Sans and paired well together when using just the regular versions.